The random witterings of Jonathan Morris, writer.

Friday 20 March 2009

I Didn't Have The Nerve To Say No

Not all of the blogs I’ve written have appeared on this site. I also keep a word file of ‘Iffy blogs’; blogs I’ve written whilst in the throes of righteous anger or which turned out, upon reading back, to be a bit more harsh than I’d intended.

So that’s where my more contentious musings have gone. To be pondered over, considered and re-written. Because I’m acutely aware that anything written on the internet never goes away. Quite a lot of it never gets looked at, and never will, but it’s always there, never more than a google search away. So anything I write, I check over, thinking, ‘Could this come back to bite me on the bum in five, ten, twenty years time?’

Hence the positivity. The love you take is equal to the love you make and the smile that you send out returns to you.

It’s interesting, though, to think that in about ten years we’ll have a generation of adults who will have to spend the rest of their lives knowing that every adolescent flame-war on an internet forum has been preservered for posterity. Soon after that, there’ll be children looking up the arguments their parents had as children. Then grandchildren. And so on... until they all get bored.

And for the celebrities and politicians of the future, they will have their juvenile scribblings forever available to public scrutiny. In fact, everyone will be able to point and laugh at the foolishness of everyone else. It’ll be a great day for the human race when that happens. The internet – a recipe for world peace.

Kind of like my theory that the Third World War should not be conducted with nuclear weapons but as a continent-spanning Scrabble contest on Facebook.

Because that way, the English would win.